Start at your toes, tensing and slowly releasing the muscles. Work your way up your body, tensing and releasing the muscles in your feet, your legs, torso, arms, neck, and even into your face (but don’t scare your Ways to Destress After Work co-workers!). This meditation technique’s used to combat anxiety and stress, and is a fast way to reconnect with your body without going anywhere. Before you say that you already know this one, bear with me.
- Once you reach home, you’ll be in a more positive and happy state.
- Let yourself know what you appreciate about yourself out loud so that you can internalize and process them.
- Whether you finished up a big project, had some tough conversations or found yourself hurtling through the week like there’s no tomorrow, it’s about time you take a moment to learn how to relax after work.
- The first step to de-stressing from work is to understand that it only occupies a part of our life and not all of it.
No matter how stressful work can be, it’s easy to unwind after a tough day at the office with these simple, 10 happy-boosting tips. The best way to destress after a long week is whatever works for you, however, these 10 activities are a good place to start. Another way to destress at the end of the week is by creating something. Being creative can be a very freeing and stress-reducing experience, especially if you incorporate your favorite music into it. Try painting a picture, writing a poem, or knitting if you would like to try new activities.
Mini Daily Tech Detox
InHerSight is the career navigator for working women. Anonymously rate your current or former employer now to unlock our one-of-a-kind resources. InHerSight matches job-seekers and companies based on millions of workplace ratings from women. Find a job at a place that supports the kinds of things you’re looking for. Contrary to popular belief, cleaning isn’t always a dreaded chore.
- And when you are home spending quality time with your family, enjoy it to the fullest and be present.
- Listen to Music — We’re all tempted to get off work and immediately turn on a thought-provoking podcast or the news, but do your best to resist!
- As we’ve discussed before, stress impacts sleep and sleep quality, which can then impact overall health.
- If you don’t have any of those on hand, maybe you can convince a group of friends to visit a nearby paintbar.
- However, it takes about 20 seconds for your eyes to relax.
- You should do something that you enjoy doing just by yourself, whether it is listening to music, hiking, or painting.
Spending time with furry friends helps boost feelings of love and happiness, which will effectively lower your stress. Go to Dinner with a Friend — Being around friends and family is another awesome way to boost your mood.
Turn off your phone
It might sound like a little thing, but so much of society is built on the idea of incentives and rewards, so your brain is programmed to favor rewards, making the journey to the goal more bearable. Consider switching to something else that needs to be done if you aren’t making progress on the task at hand.
In a nutshell, getting some nature into your workplace makes you more happy and energized at work. Not having a choice in your own recovery can sometimes do more harm than good. For example, one study showed that when workers wanted to sit with coworkers and chat over the lunch break, it boosted their stress recovery. On the other hand, when workers were less keen about socializing over lunch but did so anyway , they found their energy highly depleted at the end of the day. The same pattern of depletion was also identified for working lunches. Yet, if you personally choose to stay in a productive workflow during lunchtime , there can be recovery benefits. Just keep in mind that relaxing is an important recovery activity that affords benefits , even when it’s not your most preferred lunch break activity.
Start evaluating if your employees know how much you value them!
There are some experts’ recommendations about this subject. Weighted throw blanket accentuates this comforting feeling even further thanks to the use of deep touch pressure therapy. Has gotten so stressful that you almost feel like you don’t know how to relax after work anymore. All you want to do is heat up a microwave dinner and collapse into bed. Iced 2.0 Cooling Sheets Reduce night sweats, bedhead, and breakouts with our cooling bamboo sheets + pillowcase set. Hush Iced 2.0 Reduce stress, night sweats, and hot flashes with the Hush cooling weighted blanket. Nele Dael is a senior behavior scientist studying emotion, personality, and social skills in organizational contexts.